Anyone who knows me knows that I’m not exactly Betty Crocker. Possibly not distantly related to Betty Crocker, even. I am pretty much a disaster in the kitchen. Sure, I can follow a recipe, but it doesn’t always look good. Forget about trying to just “whip something up” in the kitchen, either. It won’t end well for anyone…just ask my husband!
My go-to staple before surgery was pasta. Now, I can eat about two noodles before I’m full, so that’s out. Since protein is now my main food group, I’ve got to get creative in how I get it. One can only eat so much chicken or eggs before you never want to see either again!
Thank goodness Pinterest exists! It’s been a lifesaver. And a time suck, so if you’ve got the attention span of a goldfish, you may want to limit yourself. Anyway, I found this gem on Pinterest and made it…SO GOOD. And the best part of it is that it’s fully customizable! Don’t want blueberries? Toss in chocolate chips.
This recipes works for me because not only does it have a good amount of protein, but the carbs are slow to digest so they will keep me full for a while! Coconut oil is also a good source of fat, which helps keep you full as well.
These will make a great breakfast or a yummy filling snack!
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 3 scoops protein powder (I used FitMiss Vanilla Chai)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- Toppings: berries, chocolate chips, etc.
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- 2. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease well with coconut oil.
- 3. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl (do not add the toppings unless you're using a single topping!)
- 4. Mix all wet ingredients together.
- 5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing well until combined.
- 6. Distribute the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups.
- 7. If you're using different toppings, mix the toppings in carefully.
- 8. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- 9. Let cool. If you're not eating immediately, refrigerate. You can reheat in the microwave for about 30 seconds!