Part of taking care of yourself is also taking care of your outward appearance. I know, I know – “it’s the inside that counts”. I absolutely agree with this statement – the better you take care of the insides, the better your outside looks! Since I’ve made major life changes, I have noticed that my skin is clearer (save for right now, I look like a 16 year old with a major breakout!), my hair is shinier, my skin smoother, etc. But this can only be done through proper nutrition and hydration interally. Sometimes, you need some help externally too!
I have a pretty easy beauty routine (mostly because I’m hella lazy) and today I’ve decided to share some of my favorite products with you. I don’t “swear” by these products but I have noticed that since I’ve started using them, my skin or hair has improved. By the way, I have insanely dry skin everywhere BUT my face, where it’s pretty oily. My hair is super curly and always dry. I use products targeted to my skin and hair type because I get the best results. I’m willing to pay a little more for things that work, too!
Without further ado…
- Dove Sensitive Skin Body Wash: I started using this after my surgery and never looked back. Doesn’t irritate my skin, moisturizes well, and has a nice pleasant scent.
- Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer: After showering, but before you dry off, smooth all over your skin. It actually uses the moisture still on your skin to sink deep down and moisturize. The bottle claims you don’t need to put lotion on afterwards, but I do anyway – yes, that’s how dry my skin is!
- Bath & Body Works Ultra Shea Body Cream: Hands down the best lotion I’ve used for my skin. It’s expensive (around $13 for a tube) but I only need to apply once a day. It truly moisturizes and has actually decreased the look of my dry skin – guys, the skin on my legs often gets so dry I get SCALES. YES. GROSS. Tons of scents, too – my new favorite is “A Thousand Wishes”.
- Mario Badescu products: Once I learned to stop sucking away ALL of the oil on my face, my skin improved. A lot. This line is gentle for me, yet effective. It isn’t medicated, but they do have a few specific products that I can use when I need that zit-zapping power. My personal faves: Enzyme Cleansing Gel, Special Cucumber Lotion, AHA & Ceramide Moisturizer, Drying Lotion, Buffering Lotion, Drying Mask, Flower & Tonic Mask.
- ProActiv +: This works really well for me when I have a breakout! It’s a bit drying but it definitely gets rid of my stubborn acne!
- I’m a DevaCurl snob. This is pretty much the only thing that works in my hair to keep it moisturized without being too heavy. Right now, I’m using the Supercream line for the winter – it’s got coconut oil in it to help to moisturize. It’s expensive – about $20 each for shampoo and conditioner, and $27 for the styling cream – but it lasts forever. I think I bought this stuff in November and I haven’t run out yet. A little goes a LONG way with this stuff!
I’m always looking for new stuff to try! Share with me: what are YOUR favorite beauty products?